Spanking on television
Spanking on television was relatively common in the early decades of television, particularly in westerns and comedies produced in the '50s and '60s. These were nearly always comedic scenes of unruly women and bratty children who were chastised by a dominant male authority figure. This fell out of fashion by the early 1970s.
For the next two decades, spankings were mainly seen in telefilms and miniseries about abusive relationships and bad parenting. In recent years the conservative mainstream networks — now competing with racy cable programs — have become increasingly risque. All sorts of once-taboo kinky behavior, including erotic spanking, is being hinted at, and sometimes shown, in traditional sitcoms and dramas.
 Advertising on TV
There has also been a sudden increase in Spanking and BDSM in TV commercials, especially in the U.S. and the U.K. Advertising is starting to introduce sexual fetishes in a humorous, satirical context as a tool for grabbing the audience's attention.
 1930s - 1970s
Although commercial television had been available in the United States since the 1930s, the medium only gained substantial popularity during the post-war period. As television gained a wider audience, many early producers attempted to recreate the familiar cinematic environment on the small screen; consequently, many early TV shows emulated the visual style of the better-known movie genres.
For this reason, spanking was far more common in TV westerns and romantic comedies than in (for instance) science fiction or supernatural mysteries. Drawing on a long cinematic tradition, Saddle Operas such as Rawhide or Bonanza featured the standard M/F spanking scenarios, along with the occasional M/f and M/m storylines.
Similarly, family oriented programs like I Love Lucy, Gidget or McHale's Navy exploited the humorous potential for OTK imagery (a common plot device practiced well into the seventies). By contrast, there were relatively few spanking scenes depicted in the more "serious" science fiction or supernatural genres (notable exceptions include Irwin Allen's Land of the Giants and ITV's The Tomorrow People; video at Dailymotion).
Television spanking probably reached its peak during the early-mid sixties, possibly as part of a general backlash against the social and cultural changes that were taking place across America at the time. Mainstream corporal punishment (CP) imagery fell out of fashion in most visual media during the 1970s, although it persisted much longer in television than in cinema, comics or four-color advertising.
From the late seventies into the early nineties, many telefilms and miniseries (such as The Happy Valley) depicted children (and teens) being unjustly punished by overly strict or abusive authority figures. Humorous adult spankings were no longer deemed acceptable. Instead, the occasional serious TV-movie like Kentucky Woman (1983) would surface. This study of sexism in the workplace shows a woman being paddled as part of a humiliating initiation ceremony.
Exploiting the popularity of Women in Prison films, the ABC TV movie Nightmare in Badham County (1976) provides a rare example of sexualized corporal punishment. Two shapely female convicts are stripped and beaten with a leather strap. A more explicit version with added nude scenes was later released to theaters.
Below is a chronological list of televisions shows and TV-movies:
- I Married Joan (1952-55), M/F scenes in two episodes.
- My Little Margie (1956)
- The People's Choice (1958); family sitcom starring Jackie Cooper (1955-1958). A bratty visiting teenage girl is vigorously spanked by Patricia Breslin (who plays Cooper's wife) for misbehaving.
- Bat Masterson (The Brunette Bombshell, 1959), Bat (Gene Barry) takes the titular brunette over his knee. The spanking scene as well as the complete episode is at YouTube and Hulu.com.
- Make Room for Daddy (1959), Linda's Giant episode (M/f)
- The DuPont Show with June Allyson ("The Doctor and the Redhead", 1960)
- Rawhide ("The Incident at Last Chance", 2:53, 1960); a cowgirl gets an especially hard OTK spanking. Video on YouTube.
- 77 Sunset Strip ("Publicity Brat", 1960), F/f
- Wagon Train ("The Maggie Hamilton Story", 1960), shrewish Susan Oliver transformed into a good girl by a vigorous OTK paddling.
- Bonanza ("The Many Faces of Gideon Flinch", 1961); Michael Landon swats Sue Ann Langdon while carrying her over his shoulder. Video clip (dubbed in German) at YouTube
- Gunsmoke ("Catawomper", 1962) M/F scene with Sue Ann Langdon.
- The Saint ("The Golden Journey", 1:10, 1962), a spoiled young woman goes over Roger Moore's knee. Video clip: MyVideo
- Rawhide ("Incident of the Married Widow", 1963), M/F
- The Patty Duke Show (1963-1966)
- Route 66 ("Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are", 4:3, 1963), M/F scene with Diane Baker. Video at YouTube.
- Sergeant Cork (1963-1968, unknown episode) U.K. Victorian era detective series. M/F clip on YouTube.
- Bonanza ("Love Me Not", 5:22, 1964) Lorne Greene spanks Anjanette Comer in Western version of "My Fair Lady". Video clip at YouTube
- The Flintstones ("Ladies Night at the Lodge", season 4, 1964), Dressed as men, Wilma and Betty attempt to join the Water Buffalo Lodge and end up getting a painful initiation paddling. (Photo still)
- Rawhide ("Damon's Road, Part 2", 1964), M/F, Barbara Eden spanked while bent over a bannister.
- Temple Houston ("The Guardian", 1964), Jeffrey Hunter takes an unruly Julie Parrish over his knee. Video clip: Photobucket
- Wagon Train ("The Nancy Styles Story", 1964), series star John McIntire spanks Deborah Walley and her boyfriend. (Episode on YouTube.)
- Bonanza ("Woman of Fire", season 6, 1965); "The Taming of the Shrew" remake with Joan Hackett going over Pernell Robert's knee. Video clip at YouTube
- The Big Valley ("The Brawlers", 1:14, 1965) with Linda Evans. View spanking scene at YouTube or entire episode at Hulu.
- Gidget ("Gidget's Gadget", 1:5, 1965) - Sally Field gets whacked while bent over a couch for meddling in the affairs of others. Video clip on YouTube.
- Gidget ("Gidget's Foreign Policy", 1965); Walter Koenig takes a spoiled Brooke Bundy over his knee. Video clip at YouTube.
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. ("The Odd Man Affair", 1965); Barbara Shelley gets into a fight with another woman in a night club. Shelley smacks her eight times with her pocket book as they grapple. In the third season ("The Her Master's Voice Affair", 1966), Illya (David McCallum) takes a bratty teenage girl over his knee, but is interrupted by a call on his communicator. (Video clip at Dailymotion)
- McHale's Navy ("Babette Go Home", 2:24, 1965); fiery French babe Susan Silo gets humiliating public OTK paddling.
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ("Doomsday", 1:19, 1965); two crewmen are paddled with flippers in a spanking line during an equator-crossing initiation ritual. This episode can be watched at Hulu.
- I Spy ("There Was a Little Girl", 1:26, 1966), troublesome teenage girl is spanked off-camera (her cries are heard) in comedic finale to episode.
- Bewitched (c. 1967-1968), Darrin gives Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery) one hard smack for mishaving. Video at MyVideo
- Bonanza ("Little Girl Lost", 1968); a bratty girl gets five hand smacks while over Lorne Greene's knee.
- Land of the Giants ("Ghost Town", 1:2, 1968); a cruel little girl is spanked for tormenting the "little people". Episode available at Hulu.
- Lancer ("The Black McGloins", 1969); Stefanie Powers plays an Irish con-artist who gets a few over-the-knee swats in an effort to get her to tell the truth. (Video clip on YouTube.)
- Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-1975, PBS series)
- Keeping it Up Downstairs (1976); a frequently racy parody of Upstairs, Downstairs. Spanking scenes occur in several episodes.
- Here's Lucy ("Lucy and Andy Griffith", 6:8, 1973); Griffith wallops Lucie Arnaz with a rubber-soled shoe. Video clip on YouTube
- Klimbim (German TV, 1973-1979); racy sketch comedy in the frenetic style of The Benny Hill Show. Elisabeth Volkmann gets spanked and caned several times while playing an inept maid and a waitress. Video clip: YouTube
- Seven Little Australians (mini-series, 1973): A boy is spanked OTK (M/m).
- The Tomorrow People (British series, 1973-1979)
- Poldark (British series, 1975), M/F, Angharad Rees publicly beaten with a cane for stealing in the marketplace. (Video clip on YouTube)
- Nightmare in Badham County (1976), lurid women-in-prison TV movie with leather strap punishments. View the strapping scene at the Internet Archive.
- Fernwood 2 Night ("Corporal Punishment, part 1", 1977); talk show parody starring Martin Mull as the host. A high school principal demonstrates how to give a teenage student (Kathy McCullen) a proper over-the-knee hand spanking. He gives her nearly 50 whacks while explaining the technique to Mull. (Video clip on YouTube)
- Diff'rent Strokes (1978, season 1, episode 5, The Spanking), m/m
- Summer of My German Soldier (1978), teleflim based on a novel. A teenage Kristy McNichol is briskly belt-spanked for getting into trouble.
 1980s - 1990s
By 1980, spanking had all but disappeared from the televised landscape, except for the occasional made-for-TV movie or syndicated reruns of "classic" TV series (e.g. Bewitched, Here's Lucy, etc.). But even these sometimes had the punishment segments edited out in shows such as Merry Melodies, Tom and Jerry, and Yu Yu Hakasho/Ghost Files.
However, in recent years humorous, and even erotic, scenes of adult spanking have become more common, particularly on syndicated shows, pay-cable networks, and programs imported from Europe.
In 1997 the HBO cable series Tracey Takes On... included a comedic masochistic spanking scene, perhaps the first comedy-drama in America to do so. The most outrageous example on network television was a series of raunchy syndicated talk shows hosted by radio personality Howard Stern. From 1990 to 2005 Stern would regularly have models, strippers, and adult film actresses come on his show and submit to an on-camera spanking.
- Fantasy Island ("The Mermaid Returns", 4:2, 1980), series star Ricardo Montablan gives a young lady an over-the-knee hand spanking.
- Galloping Foxley (1980), episode from the British TV series Tales of the Unexpected based on the short story by Roald Dahl of the same title.
- The Flame Trees of Thika (1981) British miniseries. A girl is spanked with a hairbrush by an overly stern father.
- Mérette (French TV movie, 1982), a 12-year-old girl suffers some nasty canings from her strict guardians.
- Mettez du sel sur la queue de l'oiseau pour l'attraper (French TV movie, 1982); vigorous OTK M/F hand-spanking.
- Kentucky Woman (TV movie, 1983), Cheryl Ladd becomes a coal miner and submits to a humiliating paddling ritual.
- By The Sword Divided (1983), 17th-century English drama; a fully-clothed Lucy Aston gets six cane strokes from her father. Video clip at Dailymotion.
- Brothers (1984)
- The Life and Loves of a She-Devil (1986); British mini-series, woman bound to a bed is whacked with a carpet beater (M/F), video clip at YouTube
- Mafia Princess (1986) telefilm about the daughter of mobster Sam Giancana who is shown losing his temper and spanking her for breaking a porcelain figurine.
- Foxfire (telefilm, 1987), Cranky, inflexible Hume Cronyn orders his son to cut a switch-rod as thick as his thumb. The switching occurs off camera.
- The Happy Valley (1987) is a British telefilm with remarkably severe (and suspiciously fetishistic) caning and whipping scenes of a teenage girl. Her father is a sadistic martinet.
- The Shiralee (mini-series, 1987)
- Little Girl Lost (1988)
- 21 Jump Street ("Hell Week", 3:6, 1989), undercover cop Johnny Depp is smacked with a Greek paddle during fraternity hazing. (Video clip at YouTube.)
- The Arsenio Hall Show (1990) Singer Madonna talks candidly about her spanking lifestyle and the song "Hanky Panky".
- The Howard Stern Show (1990-2005); series of talk shows with numerous real-life M/F & F/F punishments. On YouTube, Stern smacks Sarah Bernhard and a stripper.
- Antonia & Jane (1991), made for British TV then released on video. A couple takes turns being tied to a bed and belt-lashed for giving wrong answers to literary trivia questions.
- Gonzo Games (USA Network, 1991), game show with two female contestants riding stationary bicycles rigged with a spanking machine that paddles them when the speed decreases (video clip).
- Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon (1991, UK), from Arena, a BBC documentary series. Includes F/F scene from the 1924 stag film The Casting Couch; available on YouTube at the 8:20 mark.
- The Leaving of Liverpool (Australian telefilm, 1992)
- Dottie Gets Spanked (TV movie, 1993)
- NYPD Blue ("For Whom the Skell Rolls", 1994), a home movie is discovered of a journalist role playing as a headmaster with two prostitutes wearing school uniforms; we briefly see him giving them two bare-ass hand-smacks. (Video clip on DailyMotion.)
- TV Nation (1994), this satirical documentary series did a feature on caning in English schools and visited the London fetish club School Dinners. Video clips can be seen on YouTube.
- A Weekend at Miss Martindale’s (1996), British documentary about three young women who role play as maids and schoolgirls with strict disciplinarian Miss Martindale (aka Catherine Tyrell, co-author of The Female Disciplinary Manual). The program can be viewed on YouTube.
- Spin City (1996-2002), Sitcom about a New York mayoral team features one episode where the mayor discusses the physical endurance of a whip-spanking by a brothell mistress incurred in a foolish dare.
- Natural Enemy (1997) cable film with female masochist bound and briefly hand-spanked. Later, handcuffed to a dresser, she has rough doggie-style sex with her psycho boyfriend and begs for more whacks from his leather paddle as she climaxes.
- La Femme Nikita (1997-2001), TV series based on the film. During an interrogation, Nikita (Peta Wilson) is bound and thrashed with a thick cane. It is hard to tell if the blows land above or below the waist. A video clip is available at YouTube.
- The Nanny ("You Bette Your Life", 4:23, 1997), irate guest star Bette Midler chases the nanny (Fran Drescher) around, smacking her repeatedly with her purse. Video clip.
- Tracey Takes On... ("Secrets", 1997); a masochist (Tracey Ullman) gets a hairbrush spanking from her therapist. Video clip at MyVideo
- Tylluan Wen (1997, Wales), a Welsh-language telefilm adapted from a literary novel. In a flashback scene, a boy and girl are bent over school desks and caned by a cruel headmaster. Video clip at YouTube.
- Cero en conducta (1998-2003, Mexico), Spanish-language situation comedy set in a classroom. Video clips on YouTube
- Xena: Warrior Princess ("Forget Me Not", 3:17, 1998); Gabrielle (Renée O'Connor) is flogged in a purification ritual. Laying naked on a stone slab, she is whipped several times from calf to shoulder with a birch made of what looks to be palm fronds. There is a close side view shot of her ass getting whacked that appears to be a body double.
 2000 - today
Competition for viewers, along with changes in censorship and popular culture, has forced the "Big Three" commercial networks in the U.S. (ABC, CBS, and NBC) to add increasingly daring content to late-night dramas and even family-friendly situation comedies such as Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.
So far, the major networks have taken a fairly conservative approach by sticking to the familiar stereotypes. Dramas tend to present or refer to corporal punishment as a sinister or freakish aberration while comedies depict spanking masochists as eccentric buffoons to be laughed at. Only the cable networks have explored the issue of eroticism and roleplay between consenting adults in a more realistic manner.
Today, the majority of television spanking scenes still appear in offbeat syndicated and cable network shows and miniseries (Weeds, Californication, etc.), animation (The Simpsons, Family Guy), Japanese anime, TV airings of movies that include spanking scenes, and spanking in professional wrestling events.
Spanking scenes depicted in European programs as well as Spanish-language telenovelas are generally more explicit and often include nudity. An example of a spanking scene in a fairly recent British series is "Sugar Rush" (2005/I, 2006/II), Ep. #2.1 (Original Air Date: 15 June 2006).
- Jack of All Trades ("X Marquis the Spot", 2000), short-lived syndicated series. Whipping and paddling abounds (F/M, M/F, F/F) at the Marquis de Sade's estate on Agony Island. (Video clip on YouTube)
- My Family (2000-2011), British sitcom with F/F scene in unidentified episode (video clip on YouTube).
- Son of the Beach (2000-2002); a spoof of Baywatch on the FX network. A montage in the episode "Witness for the Prostitution" shows a brief F/F sorority paddling initiation of two girls. Watch the clip at MyVideo.
- Strip Mall (2000-2001); sitcom created by Comedy Central. In one episode, lesbian Fanny Sue Chang (Amy Hill) paddles Althea (Loretta Fox) with the flat side of a meat cleaver. See video clip at Dailymotion
- Weekender (2000)
- Blind Date (reality series, 2001)
- Hornblower (2001), miniseries based on the Horatio Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester. A naval officer is disciplined with a hard 12-stroke caning aboard ship. This scene can be viewed on YouTube.
- My Brother Jack (2001); Australian telefilm that portrays an abusive father who regularly beats his two sons with a belt. Video clip on YouTube.
- UK Raw (2001); late-night British series with a lighthearted look at sex and fetishes. One episode recreated scenes of discipline from the Victorian era.
- Boston Public (episode 6, 2002), old-fashioned matronly teacher uses a big wood paddle on her students. A pretty girl reveals her bruised backside, a teenage boy gets 2 paddle whacks during class.
- Codename:Kids Next Door (2002-2006, TV cartoon with a recurring 'Spank-pire' villan Count Spankulot)
- Scrubs ("My First Step,", 2:7, 2002) Guest star Heather Locklear tries to seduce Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley) by telling him: "We both know you'd love nothing more than to smack this fine ass". She then gives herself five hard smacks while groaning and adds: "Don't stop, Perry. Harder!" as she walks away. Later in a restuarant she repeats this self-spanking in front of Dr. Cox. (The first scene is available on Youtube.)
- Ally McBeal ("Buried Pleasures", 2002) - Portia de Rossi's clueless boyfriend surprises her with four painful hairbrush smacks that she does not enjoy.
- Las Vías del Amor (2002), Mexican telenovela. Erika Garcia plays "Lolita", a hooker who specializes in girlish roleplaying. Dressed as a schoolgirl, she is spanked over a client's knee while looking rather bored.
- Yes, Dear (Spanks, but no Spanks, 2002)
- Comic Relief (2003, TV special)
- Fairly Odd Parents (2003, TV animated series, Parent Hoods episode)
- Kingpin (2003), miniseries about a Mexican drug cartel. An English drug dealer hires a Mexican girl for a 100-stroke caning session. The last part is heard off camera. Video clip at YouTube
- Scrubs ("My Interpretation" 2:20, 2003); Elliot (Sarah Chalke) appears repeatedly as a naughty nurse in Turk's dreams. She bends forward and receives a hard hand-smack then begs: "Harder, damn it! I've been bad".
- Big Brother UK (season 5, 2004). Becki Seddiki and Shell Jubin are spanked on this reality show (video clip).
- Carrie and Barry (2004-2005), British sitcom of married couple who resort to hairbrush spanking in the bedroom (video clip).
- Alma Gemea (2005-2006) (English: "Soul Mate") is a Brazilian telenovela. A passionate M/F scene can be viewed at YouTube.
- Biscuit Teacher and Sugar Candy (2005); Korean fantasy-drama series about a schoolgirl with strange powers. In the first episode she is caned at school. A large cane breaks on the fifth stroke but the punishment continues with a new cane. She is fully clothed and is bent over with her hands on the floor. This episode (caning at 2:53 mark) can be watched on YouTube.
- Desperate Housewives (1st season, 2005); in "Children Will Listen", Bree spanks Porter while babysitting Lynette's children after explicitly warning him not to stealing a fresh baked cookie the she told him was for later, and explaining to him the consequences would be a spanking as it was her house her rules despite protests of not being spanked at home.
- The Girls Next Door (2005-present), E! Network reality show about Playboy's Hugh Hefner. In the first season (2005-2006) Hefner's girlfriends test out a spanking machine. Video clip at Dailymotion.
- Saturday Night Live (NBC, Oct. 22, 2005); comedy sketch with bride (host Catherine Zeta-Jones) and groom singing about and demonstrating their kinky lifestyle (M/F, F/M) during wedding ceremony in front of mortified guests (see video clip).
- The Surreal Life (4th season, 2005) VH-1 reality series. In one episode Jane Wiedlin (from the pop group The Go-Gos) appeared in dominatrix gear and revealed her secret BDSM lifestyle. Other cast members dabbled in S&M play in a makeshift dungeon. Adrianne Curry got an OTK spanking and Verne Troyer was paddled.
- My Life As A Teen Robot (cartoon series, "Teen Team Time", 2005)
- Weeds (Showtime cable series, 2005), Mary-Louise Parker gets a provocative OTK hand spanking.
- El Bar Provoca (2006), Mexican reality series similar to Big Brother. The activities of a group of young people living in a bar/nightclub are filmed 24 hours a day. A F/F spanking with a sneaker can be seen on Youtube.
- Midsomer Murders (9:45, "Dead Letters", 2006); British mystery series. In a consensual bedroom scene, guest star Simon Callow gives Caroline Goodall a switching with a leafy tree branch. Dailymotion video clip.
- Sugar Rush (2006) British TV series about teen lesbians. In one episode Sugar is spanked by an older woman while role playing as a schoolgirl in detention. Her parents walk in during this scene. Later the parents duplicate the same role play scenario. Video clips of both scenes can be viewed at MyVideo.
- An American Crime (2007) telefilm based on a true story about a 16 year-old girl held captive. Two girls get punished in a F/f scene. Video clip at YouTube
- Californication ("The Whore of Babylon", 2007), Showtime cable series, brief but graphic OTK scene.
- Saving Grace ("A Language of Angels", 1:9, 2007), TNT cable series; Grace (Holly Hunter) is naked, handcuffed to her bed while cavorting with a boyfriend who playfully hand-spanks her several times.
- Secret Diary of a Call Girl (British TV series, 1:4, 2007) - male slave cropped, another severely beaten by a dominatrix.
- Spank Me, Please (2007), short feature from cable network Current TV on the annual Nuit Demonia fetish celebration in Paris. This includes spankings, whippings, bondage, and interviews with fetish models and BDSM enthusiasts at nightclub La Locomotive. This can be viewed at the Current TV website.
- Fab Five: The Texas Cheerleader Scandal (2008); Lifetime network telefilm based on real events at a Texas high school in 2006. Five cheerleaders run amok with a wide range of scandalous behavior. While cavorting in an adult novelty store one cheerleader playfully whips another with a martinet. (This can be seen briefly in the trailer on YouTube. The complete scene can be found 3 minutes into this excerpt.)
- Criminal Minds ("52 Pickup", 4:9, 2008); F/m flashback scene of a serial killer's childhood (around age nine) briefly spanked by an irate woman for misbehaving.
- I Bet You Will (2008), Spike game show, college girl endures three hard swats with a fraternity-type paddle for prize money. She has to say "Thank you, may I have another" after each stroke.
- Mendol Ikemen Idol (2008, Japan); 12-episode miniseries; title roughly translates as "Good-Looking Idol". A light-hearted comedy-drama with fantasy elements about 3 teenage girls who, through a series of accidents, become a singing group. Another character is a stern dominatrix-like woman who dresses in black and carries a flogger. One episode features a fairly severe F/F whipping scene.
- My Name Is Earl (NBC TV series) season 4, episode 6: "Little Bad Voodoo Brother" (2008). Earl's neighbor, Nick, has a tennis fetish. He's wrapped in a tennis net with his wrists bound and a tennis ball in his mouth. A man and a woman dressed in conservative tennis whites take turns whacking him with their racquets.
- Nang Tard (2008); historical drama series from Thailand (translates as The Slave Girl) that features scenes of corporal punishment, mostly switching. Video clip on YouTube. Another episode with a long switching scene begins at 8:10 and continues in the next episode.
- The Principal's Office (season one, 2008), a truTV reality series about the lives and work of 30 school principals in different parts of the U.S. A girl and a boy at Booneville High School, Arkansas, face all-day Saturday detention for repeated tardiness. After discussion with the Principal they both agree to take three licks with the paddle in exchange for a reduced half-day of detention. The sound of the paddle strokes, behind the closed door of the office, is heard on camera in both cases. Four video clips available at YouTube, "Miss Booneville 2008" and "Nancy Gets Paddled" and "Ladies' Man" and "Shorty Gets Paddled".
- Satisfaction (unknown episode, 2008), Australian drama set in a high-class brothel. Features intense F/F caning scene, plus flashback (video clip).
- Sons of Anarchy (2008-present, unidentified episode), Katey Sagal visits a classroom set where a fetish video is being filmed. A schoolgirl kneels on a desk about to be paddled. A few glimpses of the actors rehearsing are shown. A clip of this scene can be viewed at sevenload.
- 1000 Ways to Die (Spike TV, 2:5 "Dead and Deader", 2009). At a Nevada whore house, a bound and gagged guy in a full-body latex suit is whacked with a leather paddle by a dominatrix. He soon dies from an allergic reaction to latex. Domme Isabella Sinclaire, from GwenMedia, appears briefly in this quasi-documentary presentation. This segment can be watched on YouTube. In the episode "Stupid is as Stupid Dies" (2009), three sorority pledges are brutally paddled during their hazing period (video clip).
- Eastbound & Down (HBO comedy series, 2009); an especially large fraternity paddle is briefly used twice (M/F and F/M); video clips at MyVideo.
- Rescue Me ("Initiation", 2009) FX Network cable series. Callie Thorne's character seduces Tommy (Dennis Leary) dressed as a cheerleader, Playboy bunny and latex-clad dominatrix. They are seen briefly paddling each other in a comedic fast-motion sequence.
- Dollhouse (2009) Fox network science-fiction show about a high-tech escort agency that provides fantasy companions programed with pre-chosen memories and personalities. In the first season episode "Spy in the House of Love", star Eliza Dusku is seen as a dominatrix in a leather fetish outfit. She whiplashes a co-worker once for calling her "S&M Barbie". In season two, a returning escort programed to be a submissive suggests she be tied up and spanked. (Video clip on YouTube.)
- The 2009 Tony Awards (2009); Self-spanking during performance of a song from the play "Guys and Dolls". Video clip at YouTube.
- Viver a Vida (Live the Life, aka Seize the Day) is a Brazilian telenovela (soap opera) that began in 2009. An F/F slipper spanking scene from this series can be viewed on Youtube. A fierce belt-whipping can also be viewed on YouTube.
- Archer (2010), an adult-oriented half-hour animated comedy series on the FX network that spoofs the spy genre. In one episode Archer and a sexy French stewardess are laying naked in bed together. She has a large red bruise on her backside. Archer, who has whip marks on his chest and legs, raises his ping-pong paddle and jokes "Just give me five minutes on my backhand". The scene can be viewed online at MyVideo.
- Blickfang Po (2010); German documentary on erotica with segment on spanking showing vintage photos, stag film clips and illustrations. video clip at Dailymotion.
- Boardwalk Empire (episode 5, 2010), HBO miniseries. In a brothel, a prostitute has sex with a corrupt politician with her positioned on top on him. Another girl starts hand spanking her and the man joins in as well. In another episode, Margaret (Kelley MacDonald) spanks her son for being caught in the shed with matches and a can of gas.
- Bored to Death (7:2, 2010), HBO series. In a school classroom, Zoe Kazan roleplays as a schoolgirl with Jason Schwartzman. She goes over his knee for a hand spanking and repeatedly begs him to hit her harder.
- Britain's Got More Talent (BBC, 2010). A pair calling themselves High Shakespeare perform an act that combines M/F over-the-knee spanking while reciting dialog from the Bard (video clip).
- Community ("Basic Genealogy", 1:17, 3/10/10); NBC sitcom episode about family members visiting the community college. The grandmother of one student is a cranky, half-crazy old black woman in a wheelchair. Britta (Gillian Jacobs) unwittingly insults her causing the angry grandmother to yell: "Get me a switch!" Later, Britta pulls down her pants and goes over the old woman's lap for two-dozen very hard strokes. The camera's head-on point of view shows her facial reactions and screams along with the switch coming down, but the actual impacts are not seen. Although played for laughs, this is still one of the most severe corporal punishment scenes to appear on television. (This scene is available on YouTube.)
- The League ("The Expert Witness", 2:9, November 2010); FX cable network comedy. Nick Kroll plays a timid lawyer who submits to a domineering female judge who likes doggie training role play. He gets on all fours in his underwear wearing a dog collar and a large bone in his mouth while she spanks him with a rolled up newspaper.
- Romantically Challenged (debut episode, April 2010); ABC sitcom starring Alyssa Milano features the masochistic girlfriend of Shawn (Josh Lawson). On their first date she suddenly says: "Okay, now, tell me I'm a bad girl and spank me" while getting into position. Later the timid Shawn "practices" by smacking himself with a wooden spatula. He gets domination lessons from Milano's sister ("Say you want to drip hot wax on me and dangle me out the window.") and a second date that goes badly. (Video clips can be watched at MyVideo.)
- Two and a Half Men ("Ixnay on the Oggie Day", 7:18, 2010); In this CBS sitcom, Francis Fisher plays one of John Cryer's patients suffering from back pain. She moans as he massages her lower back then begs him to spank her. "Do it, bitch!" she yells. In the outer office his secretary is confused by the smacking sounds coming from the examination room. We hear half a dozen impacts and her loud, orgasmic cries. (This scene can be viewed on YouTube.)
- MTV's Video Music Awards (September 2010); during the opening comedy sketch, host Chelsea Handler walks down a backstage hallway in a bathrobe. She meets a man who wishes her "good luck" while extending a hard smack to her derriere. This happens twice more with the next two men she meets. As a trio of burly men approach, she panics and runs away. Turning a corner, Handler runs into actress Lindsay Lohan. After an extended rant warning Handler not to make jokes about her on stage, Lohan also sends her off with a hearty hand-spank. Video of this sketch can be watched here and here.
- The Office (season 7, episode 1, 2010); manager Michael Scott (Steve Carell) hires his inept and immature nephew as an office assistant. By the end of the story, Michael is so enraged by his bad behavior that he bends the young man over a desk and hand-spanks him a dozen times while the other employees watch in astonishment. (Episode 2 also shows a recap of this scene described by Michael as an act of "corporate punishment".)
- Les vivants et les morts (2010); French television series featuring a M/F hand spanking. Video clip at Metacafe.
- Weeds (season 6, episode 8, October 2010); in the "Gentle Puppies" episode, Mary-Louise Parker has a wild, energetic sex scene in an empty bar. Her boyfriend rips her clothes off, bends her over the bar, and gives her two brisk hand spanks. (video clip)
- Jersey Shore (season 3, 2011), Snooki gives Deena a ceremonial 23 strokes with a boat paddle. (video clip).
- Mildred Pierce (2011); HBO cable miniseries based on the James M. Cain novel. Kate Winslett, as Pierce, takes her teenage daughter over her knee for a hard hand spanking.
- New Girl ("Bad in Bed", 1:8, December 6, 2011), Fox sitcom. After watching much S&M porn, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) initiates humorously awkward roleplay with her boyfriend and spanks him. (Video clip available on YouTube)
- Underbelly: Razor (2011), 13-part Australian mini-series about criminal gangs in Sydney between 1927 and 1936. Anna McGahan plays a prostitute who is spanked by her client (video clip on YouTube).
- Bethenny (2012) Fox network day-time talk show. Guest Holly Robinson Peete gets spanked with a riding crop while wearing a blindfold during a discussion of the Fifty Shades of Gray S&M book. (See video clip on YouTube.)
- Sherlock ("A Scandal in Belgravia", 2:1, 2012). This BBC series updates Sherlock Holmes to present day London. In the second season opener, professional dominatrix Irene Adler (Lara Pulver) whips Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) on the back and shoulders with a riding crop during a scuffle. (News story with photos)
- Transporter: The Series ("The Switch", 1:10, 2012), dominatrix whips a nude, bound, female slave (video clip at Vimeo).
- Game of Thrones ("The North Remembers", 2:2, 2012). HBO miniseries set in medieval England. Cruel King Joffrey is with two high-class prostitutes. He tells one to hit the other (Masie Dee). She begins playfully hand spanking Dee, then he hands her his belt. After the third belt-lash Dee cries in pain. Six severe lashes are delivered before he chooses a club-like implement and the scene ends. (See video clips at xHamptster, starting at 11:30). Maise Dee is a spanking actress who has worked for SoundPunishment, Spanking Sarah and Spanking Online.
- Raising Hope ("Spanks, Butts No Spanks", 2:16, 2012); Fox sitcom. Story concerns the debate over whether or not to spank Jimmy's infant daughter Hope. Jimmy ends up going over his father's knee which inspires Hope to behave.
- American Horror Story: Asylum ("Welcome to Briarcliff", 2:1, October 2012). FX network series about an insane asylum in 1964 run by Sister Jude (Jessica Lange), a sinister nun with a cabinet full of canes in her office. She canes a male patient; later, another nun begs to be caned. Sister Jude gives her a dismissive hand smack and threatens to "cane her bloody" if she misbehaves again (see video clips at Vimeo.) In episode 2:2 ("Tricks and Treats"), the same male patient is caned again after an escape attempt. Also in a fast-cut montage, a female patient is glimpsed being spanked or caned (video clips). In episode 2:8 ("Unholy Night") a deranged male patient gets revenge for being caned (seen in brief flashback) by caning Sister Jude (see video clip).
- 1st Look (October 21, 2012); LXTV lifestyle show on big-city restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. Host Ali Fedotowsky visits the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, Nevada, and endures "pain management therapy" for failing to finish an enormous hamburger. A waitress in a sexy nurse costume gives her three hard whacks with a large paddle. (See the NBC New York web-page for video clips.)
- Don't Stop Believin' was a weekly Singapore TV drama series set in a secondary school, first airing in summer 2012. In Episode 10 a senior boy is caned in front of the whole school. Although the storyline is highly implausible, the procedure shown for the caning is fairly authentic.
- The Pain Game (2012), Dutch game show in which contestants spank each other with a flexible plastic paddle that resembles a flyswatter. (F/f scene on YouTube.)
- Robot Chicken ("Choked on Multi-Colored Scarves", 6:8, November 2012), stop-motion animated parody series on the Adult Swim cable network (bundled with Cartoon Network). Disguised as an infant, the masochistic Skeletor deliberately misbehaves and gets several F/M OTK spankings.
- Weeds ("A Beam of Sunshine" 8:2, 2012), Silas (Hunter Parrish) dominates and spanks Kiki (Kat Foster) with a leather paddle – she is gagged and bound to a spanking bench. Video clip on YouTube.
- The Big Bang Theory ("The Fish Guts Displacement", 6:10, December 2012), Sheldon (Jim Parsons) takes his girlfriend Amy (Mayim Bialik) over his knee for a punishment spanking. Secretly masochistic, she is clearly aroused by the first hand-smack, which annoys Sheldon. She suggests he hit her harder. The scene fades out on the second smack. (Video clip on YouTube.)
- Casa dos Segredos 3 (Portugal, 2012), another "Big Brother" type reality show. (M/F clip on YouTube.)
- The Americans ("COMINT", 1:5, 2013), FX Network Cold War drama set in the 1980s about Soviet spies pretending to be a typical American family living in Washington, DC. KGB agent Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) seduces a sadistic industrialist to get information. He roughly spanks her as she is on all fours on the bed. Then he lashes her eight times with his belt. When she complains he says, "It's supposed to hurt" (preview on YouTube, another clip).
- American Dad ("The Missing Kink", 8:15, 2013), Fox network animated sitcom; Stanley´s wife Francine discovers she's aroused by disciplinary spankings and deliberately misbehaves several times throughout the story. (video clip on YouTube.)
- Save Me (2013), brief comedic flashback of Anne Heche being spanked OTK while role playing as a nun (video clip).
- Saturday Night Live (NBC, October 5, 2013), Fifty Shades of Grey screen test parody sketch with comics as Seth Rogan and Emma Stone. They perform dialog while whipping each other with a flogger.
- Saturday Night Live (NBC, November 16, 2013), in the digital short "Blockbuster", Lady Gaga appears in a fantasy sequence flogging a male Blockbuster ex-employee with strands of red licorice (video on YouTube). In "4th Grade Talent Show", John Milhiser and Lady Gaga are parents acting out what their daughter is supposed to be doing onstage. During this bizarre dance number they spank each other several times.
 Television parodies
There has been a number of spanking parody and BDSM fetish videos produced in recent years that pay homage to or poke fun at popular television dramas, comedies, and game shows. A few examples are listed below.
- Caning Competition Show (Mood Pictures) uses a mock game show format.
- Chelsea's Angels (Chelsea Pfeiffer Entertainment) is loosely based on the popular '70s TV series "Charlie's Angels".
- Desperate Homemakers (Chelsea Pfeiffer Entertainment) parodies the ABC television series "Desperate Housewives".
- Desperate Housewives in Bondage (Maxine X), another "Desperate Housewives" parody.
- I Dream of Janie (Dallas Spanks Hard), comedic remake of the '60s TV series "I Dream of Jeannie" (watch trailer)
- I Dream of Spanking (Sarah Gregory Spanking), another spoof of "I Dream of Jeannie"
- I Spank Lucy (Dallas Spanks Hard), recreates the classic '50s sitcom "I Love Lucy" (photos and trailer)
- Spanking a Very Naughty Genie (Chelsea Pfeiffer Entertainment) yet another "I Dream of Jeannie" parody.
- S/M Survivor (B&D Pleasures), a BDSM spin on the reality TV series "Survivor".
- Spanked to Tears (Pacific Force), borrows from the film & TV series "La Femme Nikita"
- Wheel of Discipline 1-3 (Pacific Force), three-volume spoof of TV game show "Wheel of Fortune"