Spanking and religion
Disciplinary spanking of children in the home and in education exists in all cultures and religions. Some religion's scripture, such as that of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, explicitly allows and encourages corporal punishment in justified cases, at least in their traditional interpretations.
Some religions have also authorized corporal punishment for adults, such as judicial corporal punishment, corporal punishment in religious institutions, and/or the corporal punishment of wives by their husbands.
Most English language pro-spanking books and websites argument from a Christian point of view. In the U.S., the religious right (religiously motivated right-wings or conservatives) have the reputation of being particularly pro-spanking. Children in the "bible belt" states are spanked more often than the national average.
Some religious sects or denominations have a reputation of being more pro-spanking than the average population in the societies they live in, such as Jehovah's Witnesses. These may also sometimes get in conflict with the law in countries that have banned parental spanking, as in the example of the Twelve Tribes.
Many anti-spanking organisations and individuals also argue from a religious point of view against spanking children. They base their arguments against phyiscal punishment on contridictory quotes from the same holy books. For an example, see Stop the Rod.
Nun whipping illustration by Aroldo Bonzagni.
From the series "Skating in the Churchyard" by Salalo (2013).
- Ernst, Max: The Virgin Spanking the Christ Child before Three Witnesses: Andre Breton, Paul Eluard, and the Painter
- Swat Valley
- St. Lazare
- The Bitter Withy
- Tripp, Tedd: Shepherding a Child's Heart
- Children of God, a new religious movement
- Dad's Guidelines for Teen Discipline from the Mo Letters by David Berg, Oct. 1985. See also Mo
- Comic strips from the True Komix series of publications for children
- »David is a Disciplinarian, "a very good father who knows how to give us chastisement for our mistakes! His Shepherd's Rod both saves & directs the sheep!"« - Two versions:
- »Sometimes that's why we get sick, because the Lord is spanking us for being naughty.«. See also:
- English translations of Qur'an, Sura 4:34 (= Sura an-Nisa, verse 34).
- The leading resource for traditional CDD marriage
- The Lord Blesses Good Parents with Well-Behaved Children
- School of Tomorrow Procedures Manual, 1998 edition, part 1, page 118: "Discuss the offense. Pray with the child. Administer correction." (Warning: M/m spanking photo, close up)
|Spanking / corporal punishment and religion|