A librarian is a library employee (traditionally female) who dispenses books to readers and performs various archival, procurement, and administrative duties. She is also responsible for maintaining an atmosphere of calm and quiet within the library premises. Librarians are an essential part of virtually all public, school, and large private libraries.
The type of person who normally chooses to live the quiet, contained life of a librarian has led to several stereotypical depictions, including, in recent years, various sexual fantasy constructs, in works of art and fiction.
Films, drama and fiction
Plays and novels from the late nineteenth century to the present day contain many examples of the librarian as either an ill-tempered, matronly spinster (a stock character used in comedies) or an attractive but sheltered young woman who is emotionally stunted and sexually repressed. Given the limited potential for character growth with the cranky older librarian character, the younger version became far more popular as seen in a variety of media.
The librarian-as-seductress stereotype began to appear in pin-up art and cheesecake photos in the 1940s, followed by trashy dime-novels in the 1950s. The milder mainstream version is exemplified by "Marian the librarian" (see Links section below) in the popular 1957 Broadway play, "The Music Man". (Shirley Jones played Marian in the 1962 film adaptation.) The Marian-type is pretty but conceals, and is unaware of, her innate beauty. She typically wears glasses and unflattering prim-and-proper outfits (white blouse, gray skirt, etc.), and restricts her hair in a tight bun. Bookish and timid, her unrealized dreams of romance are confined to literature. Eventually, her drab, lonely life is transformed after she falls in love with the male protagonist.
In general, this character is a variation on the shy, girl-next-door type who is down-to-earth and approachable as opposed to a glamorous and intimidating seductress. The male figure gently coaxes her out of her shell so she can blossom into a fully-realized person with a newly-awakened sexual identity and sense of purpose.
Examples in fiction:
- The Lord and the Librarian by DJ Black is an example of a modern erotic fantasy story that involves spanking and a private library.
- Librarian by Day by Paige Tyler is an erotic novel about a shy librarian who writes sexy spanking stories by night.
Adult films and spanking videos
Starting in the 1970s, pornographic films, and a few exploitation sex comedies (see Tomcats video clip on YouTube), transformed the Marian-type librarian into an overtly sexual fantasy figure. This new "sexy librarian" is generally a lusty vixen who wastes little time in letting her hair down and discarding her glasses and conservative clothing for the inevitable sex scene.
Often there is a deliberate nostalgia element in scenes set in school or college libraries which pander to adolescent fantasies of former students.
Two examples in adult films are Bibliophile (Filly Films, 2013), with porn star/spanking actress Madison Young and Cover To Cover (Wicked), which depicts the sexual dreams of a timid librarian (Jenna Jameson) inspired by history books.
In spanking and BDSM fetish videos starting in the 1980s and continuing to the present, librarians are generally portrayed as stern authority figures who punish unruly patrons (usually female) in public libraries or students in high school or university facilities.
Both the middle-aged matron/dominatrix type as well as the sexy young librarian can appear in these stories. The imposing Belinda Clark, aka Mistress Gemini, in Disciplinarian Librarian (Shadow Lane) and the Femdom Your Library Card, Please (Kink.com/Men in Pain) are examples of the former, while Spanked Until They Cry (Pacific Force) and Fantasy Librarian (Spank That Brat, 2010) depicts the latter.
Given the fluidity of the power dynamic within the genre, librarians also sometimes receive humiliating punishments at the hands of a library patron or supervisor. For example, in Spanking by the Book (a segment of Spanking 201 by Shadow Lane), assistant librarian Stevie Rose is disciplined by her strict middle-aged boss Eve Howard. In The Librarian's Assistant (Spank Sinn), Librarian Mistress Chelsea Pfeiffer punishes naughty Librarian Assistant Sinn Sage.
- Bibliophile (Filly Films, 2013), pornography, Madison Young
- Cover To Cover (Wicked), pornographic sex video
- Disciplinarian Librarian (Shadow Lane), Belinda Clark
- Fantasy Librarian (Spank That Brat, 2010)
- The Librarian's Assistant (Spank Sinn), Chelsea Pfeiffer
- Spanked Until They Cry (Pacific Force)
- Spanking 201 (Shadow Lane), "Spanking by the Book" segment.
- Your Library Card, Please (Kink.com/Men in Pain), Femdom
- Disciplinarian Librarian (Shadow Lane)
- The Librarian's Assistant (Clips4Sale)
- The Librarian, Saturday Night Live TV comedy short with Margot Robbie.
- Librarian bondage fantasy photo
- Spanked Until They Cry (Clips4Sale)
- Spanking 201: Female Spanks Female Edition (Shadow Lane)
- Dominatrix librarian scene in mainstream comedy Tomcat (YouTube).
- Stage performance of Marian the Librarian song from The Music Man.