Domestic spanking is spanking that occurs in the home. This includes the corporal punishment of children by parents; see corporal punishment of children and spanking of children. It also includes the spanking of adults in the home, such as in domestic discipline (disciplinary spanking by agreement in adult relationships).
Domestic spanking comes with connotations of intimacy and parental or spousal care and can be contrasted with spanking in places outside the home, such as:
- School corporal punishment - punishment of children in schools
- Judicial corporal punishment - punishment of convicted criminals
- Prison corporal punishment - punishment of prisoners (usually for violating prison rules)
- Military corporal punishment - punishment of soldiers in the military
- Corporal punishment in religious institutions - such as monasteries and nunneries.