|“||When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.||”|
|— C. S. Lewis|
Ageplay (also spelled age play) is a form of roleplay in which a person plays a character of whose age is significantly different from the actor's real age, and in which the difference in age is a significant feature of the roleplay. This can include situations where a person plays the role of a person older than their real age, but most often, ageplay is used for situations where a person plays the role of one much younger than themselves, particularly where an adult plays the role of a child.
- Adolescentilism: scientific term for ageplaying an adolescent or young adult
- Juvenilism: scientific term for ageplaying a child of roughly elementary-school age
- Autonepiophilia or infantilism: scientific term for ageplaying an infant or toddler
- Adult Child (or AC) is an adult taking on the role of a child.
- Adult Baby (or AB) is an adult taking on the role of a toddler or infant.
- Bio-age is a way to refer to an age player's real biological age.
- A Guardian is someone who is taking on the authority role in an ageplay scene, be it parent, teacher, babysitter, or another such role.
- Inner child is the a way to refer to an adult's ageplay persona.
- Play age is the age of the ageplayer's inner child.
- Diaper Lover (or DL) is a person, not necessarily an ageplayer, who likes to wear diapers. This can be an important distinction for an ageplayer, e.g. AC/DL means an Adult Child who enjoys diaper play without wanting to be treated like an AB.
- Littles is how age players often refer to themselves.
- Bigs is how they refer to their play partners in guardian roles.
 Ageplay and submission
Ageplay, like other forms of submission, appeals in giving up responsibility. But unlike the Master/slave relationship, it allows the ageplayer shed the social shields and be vulnerable and open to giving and receiving affection freely.
 Ageplay and spanking
Ageplay is often used in connection with spanking, to allow the traditional or stereotypical discipline of a child to be roleplayed. Though some ageplayers are more into the care and comfort associated with their play age, and submit to spankings and other such punishments much the same way someone of their play age would, and are more concerned with being a good boy/girl to receive the positive attention. Whereas at the other end of the spectrum, other ageplayers, in particular those that are also brats, crave the disciplinary attentions.
 Ageplay and props
Many ageplayers will use props to help get them into the head space of their role. Common are items of clothing such as diapers, pacifiers, school uniforms, childish print underwear, etc. Others will use environmental props, such as cribs, school desks, or rooms decorated like a child's bedroom.
 Therapeutic age regression
An adult child recreating his old summer term boys' school uniform.
An adult woman roleplaying a schoolgirl in the process of getting spanked.
A Scottish 'schoolboy' receives corporal punishment with a Lochgelly tawse.
|“|| Now I'll admit I'm a Little older than I'm young
But don't believe the fun should stop at 21.
When I grow up, I want to be a kid
I wanna to laugh, love, like I always did.
There's a Million things to be, but just one life to live.
So deep down in my heart when I grow up I want to be a Kid
|— Clint Daniels, When I Grow Up|
|“||Age games give us a chance to relive our childhoods in an environment of safety and love, with a very unchildlike opportunity for adult sexual fun afterwards.||”|
|— Lady Green in The Compleat Spanker (1996)|
 Books on ageplay
Non-fiction books on Ageplay:
- Power Exchange Books: Age Play, 2008, ISBN 1934625906
- The Toybag Guide to Age Play, 2008, ISBN 1890159735
 See also
- What is ageplay? BDSM and ageplay. Infantilism. Age Regression. on Duncans Thoughts
- Outline for workshops about ageplay by Little Girl Lost
- Ageplay negotiation form by Little Girl Lost
- A brief guide to age-play on Unfettered
- Littles Group Documentation Project by The Ghidrah to help people find places to go where they can connect with others interested in age play.
- A Stern Stepmum (F/F ageplay photo)
- Deutsche Schule (A german ageplay - forum)
- Ageplay Gender Preferences in Second Life (study of 1200 member relationships, with figures and chart)